Jul 15, 2008

Singapore Slings

It has to be said that on overseas trip is heavy on the lead-up and light on the action on arrival at the first destination.

In the seven days prior to my departure on Monday, I flew to Perth, then back to Sydney, drove to Canberra, then drove back to Sydney, flew to Brisbane, flew back to Sydney, drove to Canberra then the South Coast and flew back to Sydney. In the spare time I had between destinations I had packed up and moved my entire apartment, organised money, paid off debts, written my CV, emailed potential employers and held a farewell party.

Arriving in Singapore I have to admit I felt a little underwhelmed. Not by Singapore itself, but by the sudden lack of pace. A sunny Bondi winters day was an eight hour old memory, the thrill of pre-flight of organisation had vanished and my body still ached from my farewell party three days beforehand. 

Then again, a holiday is traditionally spent stressing about the things you forgot to do before you left that its only enjoyable on the last day before you go home.

To counter this unfortunate state of affairs I go for the hotel upgrade. The savvy Flashpacker knows that a deal can always be struck last minute at reception. Traders Hotel in Singapore has a range of internet deals and I opted for the superior room with late checkout when I booked from Australia. I was quick to ask the receptionist what upgrade options were available and she offered up the 'Traders Club' option; for AUS$ 30 extra I can check out at 7pm, free breakfast and access to the Traders Club Lounge with free drinks, food and internet where I write this now.

But there is so much the Flashpacker can take in a club lounge. No matter how much you get for free, you have to endure the other guests who all seem so boring. Businessmen, sex tourists, shopaholics, and worst...traveling Australians. As I stare out over the Singapore skyline a couple from the Gold Coast are sitting at the next table. They have cornered a Swede who is too polite to leave the woeful conversation. His smile is forced as they explain how all Australian states hate each other (but not enough to commit murder like Europeans would), that dingos eat babies and that all Aborigines are trouble. 

It raises an interesting conundrum for the Flashpacker. Whilst luxury is more affordable for those in their thirties, you miss out on meeting the people that interest you most. 5 star hotels are no place to mingle and easily meet like minded souls with interesting stories to tell. 5 star guests always seem to be pissed off about something. Maybe the towels arent white enough or the waiters dont grovel enough. Or maybe its that they are paying a truckload of cash and expect to be treated like the Queen. 

So the Flashpacker has to go it alone in Singapore. What to do? Well, theres shopping... and.

Who am I kidding, Singapore sucks. But its a good stop over hub to break up the arduous flight to Europe from Australia. And Traders Hotel rocks.

Next stop Sweden.








1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Damo,

I'm sorry to have missed your farewell bash, but I'm delighted to see I can keep up to speed with your new blog!

Your Australian exodus was very timely - the WYD pilgrims have taken over Sydney. I could hear people gathering in McMahons point before dawn this morning to head...who knows where?!

A friend's comment when confronted by a train load of happy clappers on his commute to work, "Where are the lions when you need them..."

Don't tell me you hate Australian tourists more than you hate American ones?!...but then again, you wear crocs ;)